State Salary and Benefits Information
NOTE: The benefits outlined below apply to Permanent Full-Time employees.
- Paid monthly.
- Annual merit salary increases within certain classifications until maximum salary is reached.
- Direct deposit of payroll to financial institution (must meet enrollment criteria).
- Hire above minimum rate for exceptional experience.
- Certain classifications are considered “deep classes” with one or more range change increases.
- Employees receive 11 paid holidays per year.
- One Personal Holiday a year is accrued.
Savings Plus Program
- Offers two Deferred Compensation plans for eligible California State employees:
- 401(K) Thrift Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Receive cash monthly in lieu of health benefits.
- Pre-tax Medical Reimbursement Account.
- Pre-tax Dependent Care Reimbursement.
Group Legal Plan
- Offers employees a comprehensive plan that covers almost all legal situations.
- Select from several different Health plans.
- State pays a specific premium amount, employee pays remaining balance.
- Change plans or add eligible family members during open enrollment each year.
- Special enrollment allowed for addition of new dependents.
- Select from several different Dental Plans.
- State pays all monthly premiums for pre-paid dental plans.
- After 24 qualifying pay periods, employees are eligible to enroll in a fee-for-service dental plan. (State pays a specific amount and employee pays remaining balance.)
Vision Plan Benefits
- Employees and eligible dependents receive an eye exam, lenses and frames once every 12 months.
- See plan for deductible amounts
- After six months of qualifying State service, employees will receive 42 hours of vacation.
- For each additional qualifying month, employees will earn 7 hours of vacation per month.
- Vacation accruals increase with additional State service months.
- Vacation can be accumulated to a maximum of 640 hours.
- Full-time employees receive 8 hours of sick leave credits monthly. Sick leave credits can be accumulated with no limit.
- Sick leave credits can be used for personal illness, injury or family sick leave.
- Unused sick leave credits can be used toward increasing length of service of retirement.
- Some bargaining units allow employees to enroll in the Annual Leave Program.
- Employees can earn 11 hours of annual leave credit for each qualifying month.
- Annual leave accruals increase with additional State service months.
- Annual leave can be used to meet employees’ need for sick leave and vacation.
- Annual leave can be accumulated to a maximum of 640 hours.